Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Hiding

I think everyone has a hiding place in their house, especially if you share said house. If on the other hand, you live on your own, your home might be your hiding place. My favourite hiding place is the bathroom; and not the bathroom with the showers and all, I actually mean toilet. It is a pretty neat little room, bright white tiles, mirror and privacy. No one expects you to talk to them while there and you do not have to explain why the door is locked, it has to be.

Have you ever felt so much tension around you that you could cut it with a knife if you tried? That happens alot, at home, at work and in meetings at times. My most natural reaction is to run. I hate conflict. I feel the resistance rising up within me. But worse still, are moments of pain, when you do not know what to do, when you are overwhelmed by your own helplessness. It is times like these that I run, I run and hide in the bathroom. I stay there and wonder for how long I can stay before I have to get out there. I stay in there, taking deep breaths,saying prayers in a language only God understands and looking, searching desperately for the strength to go back.

The other day I was listening to a sermon by T.D Jakes when he said something about a portion of scripture I like, Psalms 91:1;

"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most high shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty" 

He said when you are under the shadow of the almighty, the devil won't see you coming! This reminded me of a situation in one of the most amazing books I've ever read "Piercing the darkness" by Frank. E. Peretti; There was a lady who was under attack by demons, they were chasing her down and the angels hid her, the demons would move right past her and not see her. Of course, she did not know what was happening but she was under the shadow of the Almighty.

On monday,this week, after a trying and overly emotional weekend, I chanced upon a Joseph Prince sermon(I listen to a lot of sermons) Rest in Jesus' faith for Miracles. It was great revelation because many times, I am tired and too aware of my own weakness and that is why I run. Not all running is physical. Sometimes we run by hiding in our work,loads and loads of work! Other times it is parties or movies or video games, we run from our helplessness and our feelings. A lot of great truth is in this sermon; but the most profound thing to me was, "It is because of Jesus' perfect faith that I am blessed". So, now I can pray that Lord Jesus,I thank you that you have faith that by your stripes I am healed. At this point I am reminded that Jesus sits at the right hand of the father,interceding for us and He has perfect faith! (See Romans 8:34)

That picture is currently my phone wall paper. It is something I meditate on. It is a symbol that my Jesus is with me, and that He is holding me and I can rest in Him. I can hide in Him.

"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden and overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. [I will [h]ease and relieve and [i]refresh [j]your souls.] Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am gentle (meek) and humble (lowly) in heart, and you will find rest ([k]relief and ease and refreshment and [l]recreation and blessed quiet) for your souls. For My yoke is wholesome (useful, [m]good—not harsh, hard, sharp, or pressing, but comfortable, gracious, and pleasant), and My burden is light and easy to be borne." Matthew 11:28-30

4 comments:

  1. i love this piece...
    it just describes me in a way...like wen u talk about ya hiding place, i do have a hiding place too, my bed in a dark corner, no one want to stay in so dark, but once ya in there no one can know ya there...
    it just reminded me of a time wen i hated evrythng at home, every one and i could only feel peace in tht place, but it was a phase
    just a phase

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if it ever happens again, you can always hide in Jesus. He can be your safe place,your hiding place.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like I've been running all my life! Its time for these runs to stop! One last run to Jesus and that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have spoken to my inner turmoil young lady! my running place is the toilet though! there is a weird calmness about that place!

    ReplyDelete